My SAR Journey: Application

Completing the application takes some time, but it is not overwhelming. Before starting to fill out the application form, be certain that you have completed all research. You will need a copy of your birth certificate and, if you are married, your marriage certificate. For every generation back from you to the Revolutionary War ancestor you will need proof of birth, marriage, and death. 

If you cannot locate proof of birth, marriage, or death in vital and church records, you can use other sources to establish these dates and to prove relationships. Post-1850 U.S. censuses, for example, can provide proof of birth and relationship, for example. Bible records, court records, and cemetery records can also be helpful. If you have a relative who joined the Daughters of the American Revolution through the same ancestor, you can submit a copy of the DAR record. (Note: while SAR will accept a DAR record for membership application, the reverse is not true; DAR does not currently accept SAR applications for proof. And any submitted DAR record, no matter when submitted, would need to meet current standards for proof).

There may be times when you will need to write up a proof argument to establish a relationship. If the argument is particularly complex, consider writing it up as an article for one of the peer-reviewed journals (e.g., New England Historical and Genealogical Register, New York Genealogical and Biographical Record, The American Genealogist, Mémoires de la Société Généalogique Canadienne-Française, for example). Then, when you submit your application to SAR, you can point to the article as a source. Publication of an article like this also shows the SAR reviewers that your argument has already been reviewed by knowledgeable professionals, who accepted your argument as valid.

Those who apply for membership through their French-Canadian ancestry will have an additional step in the process. Because the records of our ancestors in Quebec are written in French, it is best for you to transcribe and translate them for SAR, which may have varying levels of experience reading French, depending on the chapter being applied to. 

You will also need to provide reference to proof of your ancestor’s service. Pension and service records will work for those who had military service. Those applying for membership based on providing aid and assistance may find the Baby journal helpful.

Once you have completed the application, it is time to assemble the documentation. Then you are ready to submit your application to the local SAR chapter that you wish to join. Once it is submitted, it is time to sit back and wait to hear back from them. 

Leave a Comment